Final Weeks of Summer Vacation

February 28th, 2010 pmmcgo11

Sorry I haven’t written in a while! Today I finally have some time to sit down and write a bit.

Everything here is great. I start classed March 15 so I only have a couple weeks of summer to enjoy. In the last few daysDSCN0399 I have attempted to pick classes and attempt to put together a schedule for the semester. The past few weeks I’ve been keeping busy with a Karate Class at a nearby Martial Arts center, reading, and going out with friends. I have also been making the itinerary for a group of high school students that are coming to Peru in June from my high school…I am going to be one of the chaperones for the trip, as well as the translator. This Thursday I am also looking forward to a writing seminar I am taking at La Católica. It will be a good review and good practice before the start of the semester!

Right now Peru, in the days following the big earthquake in Chile — 8.8 on the Richter scale, has Tsunami warnings so I’ve haven’t been to the beach. I have heard even a few of the major beaches on the Lima coast are closed due to the DSCN0518Tsunami warnings. In El Correo, a Peruvian newspaper I am reading at the moment, it says about 1.5 million household were affected by the quake. This is one of the worst earth quakes Latin America has seen in many years. The only Earthquake stronger than this one was in Chile on May 22, 1960 which was measured at 9.6 on the Richter scale.

In the past couple weeks I have also been able to meet up with the new Holy Cross students: Conor Donoghue ’11, Samantha Howland ’11, and Yazeirys Pena ’11. Last week I also went with them to El Parque de los Aguas.

This past weekend several friends (Rey, Daniel, Juan Pablo, and Puma) went out with some of our new friends—from Worcester, MA—who are volunteering here at a local orphanage. It was DSCN0498memorable night. The girls (volunteers) that we went out with have only been here for a couple weeks and as we shared experiences and talked about the culture I remembered arriving here in July and how far I’ve come since then—with both the language, Castellano, and the culture. I feel very comfortable and at home here, but spending a night with people new to Lima made me remember this long process to where I am today.

Next weekend I think I will be heading back down south, to Chincha, to attend some of the festivities of Verano Negro: an important tradition in Chincha and specifically El Carmen. Until then I will be busy with an Aikido (type of karate) class I have been taking, picking my classes, and spending some extra time with friends before the start of the semester.

I’ll be sure to write soon!

Chau,
Pedro

One Response to “Final Weeks of Summer Vacation”

1. VINCENT says:

BUY CHEAP DRUGS : -==== Anti Depressants Cure ====-

Order Quality It Today!…