Salida a Lima :) and Finales :/

July 6th, 2010 pmmcgo11

Today, after a very difficult final, I finished my two semesters in Peru. I cannot believe how fast the time has gone by. I’m excited to have finished, but every day I realize I have very little time left here…right now I only have about three weeks left…then it’s back to Boston and back to work.

Something I haven’t had a chance to write about yet is last Saturday, July 3. My students (from Fe y Alegría and I) went on a “field trip” to Lima. As I’ve written about before, my students are the poorest of the poor and although they only live about forty-five minutes outside of Lima they haven’t been to a lot of the major sites (for example, the main plaza). We went to the Center of Lima, La Iglesia San Francisco y las Catacumbas, had lunch at my house, Miraflores, Barranco, and had dinner at a very nice restaurant in Larcomar (an upscale mall). The lunch at my house was delicious and the dinner was kindly donated by Café Café, a nice restaurant/café the overlooks the water. It was an incredible day. My boys had such a great time and I think they learned a lot. Where they live and where we went are two completely different worlds. The separation between rich and poor in Lima is striking. I am hoping the in the next couple weeks I will be able to plan another field trip or dinner for the kids before I leave.

Chau,

Pedro

***I still cannot upload pictures; I will get them up ASAP…